On Thursday the 9th of August, 128 year 6 students from Talara College on the Sunshine Coast came to visit the Ration Shed to learn more about Indigenous History and Culture. Along with Sally Lawrence and her team from the Department of Education, Training and Employment, we planned and organised 5 different activities for the students. Each session was 30 minutes long and the students rotated from one session to the next very smoothly.
The sessions we ran included:
1. A discussion and activity session about Culture and Art.
2. A Timeline history quiz related to what the year 6’s are studying.
3. A Cultural Learning toolkit session run by Elders which involved looking and discussing various posters about Indigenous Culture and History
4. An Art workshop with local artists in our new art studio
5. A discussion and hands on session about Indigenous artifacts.
The day went like clockwork and the feedback we received was amazing. We’re hoping more schools will visit us and learn about our history and our culture.
We are in the planning process and busy designing educational resources for schools – for different year levels. We will keep you posted about our progress – in the meantime please feel free to contact us to discuss your educational needs and get a quote. We are happy to negotiate with you and work around the needs of the students and our visitors.